Hotels are amongst the most visible and important aspects of a country's infrastructure and is closely linked with the tourism industry. As new & big hotels are opening in various places, value of trained hotel management professionals are gradually increasing. It is taken as one of the most glamorous careers opportunity.
Hotel management involves combination of various skills like management, food and beverage service, housekeeping, front office operation, sales and marketing, accounting. To be successful in hotel management, you need the energy and enthusiasm to keep your team motivated day in day out, and to be able to stay interested in the job even when you’re doing routine tasks. You need to be able to think on your feet, be creative and know how to plan and organise. If you have these qualities, you like dealing with people and have a good knowledge of finance and business principles, hotel management is an area for you where you can progress rapidly.
The minimum qualification required to go for a course in hotel management is 10+2. For certificate, diploma and bachelors courses 10+2 is sufficient. Duration of certificate courses is six months to one year. Bachelor and diploma courses are of duration one and half to three years.
Personality traits :
Students looking for a career in hotel management should have strong communication and interpersonal skills, reasoning skills, numerical aptitude and pleasing personality. They should have a good organizational background, strong commitment and self-discipline. One must be an extrovert, co-operative, polite and respectful to the guests, have patience to deal guest criticism even when you know you are right, willing to work hard even at odd hours and yet be cheerful.
Since you ate considering education beyond class 12, you should be looking into the Hotel Management courses are usually of three-year duration leading to the grant of a diploma / degree. However, some degree courses are also of four years duration.
Hotel Management courses at all institutes offer a blend of therotical and practical training. Students are given hands-on training in running of a hotel so that they can apply their theoretical learning to real-life situations and learn how to improve adapt.
Placements / Job prospects :
Students graduating from established institutes of hotel management have lucrative and interesting openings in various fields like Hotel & Restaurant management, Airline Catering and Cabin Services, Club management, Cruise Ship Hotel Management, Hospital administration and catering, Hotel and Tourism Associations, Institutional Management (supervising canteens in college, schools, in factories, company guest houses etc.), Catering departments of railways, banks, armed forces, shipping companies defence etc
How to get started:
There are multiple job profiles in hotel management and depending upon the candidates' education, work experience, the positions are offered. However, in order to work in top level or middle-level management candidates must have a degree in travel management. Whereas some hotels hire graduates straight from universities, some other hotels hire only trained hotel management graduates. Candidates can do degree course in hotel management soon after 10+2 which are offered by various hotel management institutes.
The minimum selection criteria for an undergraduate course in hotel management is 10+2 with 50% marks. However, candidates who do not have 50% marks in +2 can do diploma or certificate course in hotel management which are being offered by various institutes. Additionally, some hotels provide training cum job placement and candidates who do not have other options can opt for it. Indian hotel management institutes conduct entrance exams before selecting the candidates for various courses.
The course fee depends upon the rank and reputation of hotel management colleges. Garden City College at Bangalore charges around Rs 3,50,000 for the three year graduate course, Christ College, Bangalore charges Rs 48,0000 per semester for 4 year BHM course. Similarly, a graduate course in hotel management at IHM Chennai can cost Rs 37,500 per semester. Students can also go for diploma courses offered by the same institutes.
Many hotel management institutes offer merit based concessions on fees to eligible candidates.Some institutes provide discounts to sponsored candidates who come for training. Junior Research Fellowship is offered to those candidates who are willing to explore their career in academics. Students looking for external funding can apply for low interest rate loan offered by most of the nationalised banks like Allahabad Bank, Bank of Baroda, PNB, IDBI, etc. Students of all the hotel management institutes which are affiliated with AICTE are eligible to get a loan of Rs 7.50 lakh for studying in India and Rs 15 lakh to study outside India. The low interest rate education loan can be repaid in 5-7 years of duration in equal instalments starting one year after the completion of the course.
Remuneration in hotel management industry differs depending upon the hotel management institute the candidate passed out from, work experience, skills and ability to handle tough situations. Those who come from top notch hotel management institutes such as IHM receive starting salary of Rs 20,000 or more. Similarly, candidates with diploma or certification programs can get salaries starting from Rs 8,000 to 10,000 . Again the salary package differs a lot on the size and shape of the employment company. Large hotel chains offer attractive remuneration and pamper their employees.
Hilton hotel chain, Ramada hotel chain, Hyatt hotel chain, La Quinta hotel chain, Marriott hotel chain, Radisson hotel chain, Days Inn hotel chain, Best Western hotel chain, etc offer attractive career option for hotel management graduates from top notch hotel management institutes. Hotel management graduates working in the USA hotels get minimum salary in the range of US$ 6000 to 7000. Many hotels in the USA provide high paying part-time jobs at various positions.
The Career Path
· The General Manager : Such professionals are responsible for all operations in a hotel. As the GM, you will work closely with your Heads of Division to establish the operational plan and budgets, set pricing and sales targets, establish the standards for service to guests.
· Resident Managers: Bestowed with the job to be available at just a call away.
· Executive Housekeepers: These professionals are expected to ensure cleanliness in the hotel.
· Front Office Managers: Most of the hotels own front desk, Front Office Managers manage the same.
· Convention Services Managers: These professionals work in close coordination with client and the conferencing facilities offered by the hotel for various conventions, meetings, seminars, etc.
· Section Supervisor or Manager. You will be responsible for supervising operations in a particular area, such as the reception or the bar, to make sure everything runs smoothly and the standard set by management is being observed,
· Section supervisor/ manager
· Duty manager
· Department Manager
· Deputy General Manager and General Manager
Hotel management jobs coming from top notch hotels in India offer attractive career and growth prospects. Some of the leading hotel chains in India are as follows:
· Ambassador Group of Hotels
· Mansingh Group of Hotels
· Oberoi Group of Hotels
· Peerless Group of Hotels
· Sarovar Park Group of Hotels
· Sinclairs Group of Hotels
· Best Western Group of Hotels
· Casino Group of Hotels
· Clarks Group of Hotels
· Fortune Park Group of Hotels
· ITDC Group of Hotels
· Jaypee Group of Hotels
· K Raheja Group of Hotels
· Le Meridien Group of Hotels
· Taj Group of Hotels
· Tulip Star Group of Hotels
· Welcome Heritage Group of Hotels
· Holiday Inn Group of Hotels
· HRH Group of Hotels
· ITC Group of Hotels
Dr.Ambedkar Institute of Hotel Management, Chandigarh
· Institute of Hotel Management, Jodhpur
· Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata
· Institute of Hotel Management, Lucknow
· Institute of Hotel Management,Gandhinagar
· Institute of Hotel Management, Bangalore
· Institute of Hotel Management, Bhopal
· Institute of Hotel Management, Bhubaneswar
· Institute of Hotel Management, Chennai
· Institute of Hotel Management, New Delhi
· Delhi Institute of Hotel Management, New Delhi
· Institute of Hotel Management, Gangtok
· Institute of Hotel Management, Goa
· Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Applied Nutrition, Dehradun
· Institute of Hotel Management, Gurdaspur
· Institute of Hotel Management, Guwahati
I hope the information given above would help you to get an idea of the career in Hotel industry. Do get back to us in case of any query.
All the best
Mrs. Kshyanaprava Sahoo
KiiT International School